If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (610) 337-3330

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Leading Cause of House Fires? Electric Heaters!

2/27/2018 (Permalink)

Electrical heating-related fires most often occur in December, January, and February. Purchasing a cozy electrical space heater is a cost-efficient solution when temperatures drop, however, can be a devastating disaster when used improperly. According to the NFPA (National Fire and Protection Agency), electrical space heaters are the leading cause of most house fires. Here are a few tips on how to properly use your electric space heater and avoid fire hazards:

  • Electrical Fires: Electrical fires occur when the heating unit is not properly plugged into the wall outlet, most often plugged into an extension cord or power strip. To avoid fires:
    • Give your space heater space; at least 3 feet away from combustible materials
    • Do not plug other electrical devices into the same outlet as the heater.
    • Plug the heater directly into the outlet
    • Avoid leaving the unit running overnight
  • Fire Starters: Electrical units placed too close to other combustible materials contribute to 79% of fatal home heating fires. Combustible materials include:
    • Household furniture
    • Clothes
    • Bed Mattress
    • Bedding materials

Before running your electrical heater, it’s important to understand the risks of fire and smoke damage. Fire damage can leave a lasting impact on your house and may cause additional smoke damage.

If you have mold or water damage, call SERVPRO at 610-546-2484 to schedule a cleanup.  Your SERVPRO of King of Prussia professionals have the training, certifications, and equipment to remediate mold.

Call today for a free estimate, and mention this post and get 10% off all your cleaning needs.

Other News

View Recent Posts