If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (610) 337-3330

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Don't Let Winter Fires Ruin Your Dinner!

11/21/2019 (Permalink)

There were three house fires in Montgomery County overnight Wednesday into Thursday and since Dec. 1, 2017, there have been 21 house fires, including two that were multi-alarm. That is an unusually high number that may be attributable to the exceedingly cold temperatures the region has been experiencing recently.

Cooking is the leading cause of home fires and can easily be prevented.

We urge all of our residents to follow these important steps to prevent winter home fires.

  • Never leave food cooking on the stovetop unattended.
  • Keep a close eye on what’s cooking, particularly if you are frying food. If you see any smoke or the grease starts to boil, turn the burner off.
  • Keep a pan lid or cookie sheet nearby and use it to cover the pan if it catches fire.
  • Turn pot handles toward the back of the stove so they aren’t bumped or pulled over accidentally. The steps people sometimes take in an effort to heat their homes, particularly during power outages, can also lead to house fires. The following steps can prevent house fires in those instances.
  • Keep anything that can burn at least three feet from heat sources, such as fireplaces, wood stoves, radiators, and space heaters.
  • Use flameless candles, flashlights and glow sticks in the event of a power outage.
  • Don’t use an oven, stovetop or bring an outdoor grill inside to inside to heat your home. Those pose a serious risk of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning and/or fire.
  • Turn space heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed. Don’t use more than one space heater at a time and don’t run extension cords to them.
  • If you use a portable generator during a power outage, make sure it is outdoors in a well-ventilated area away from doors, windows and vents, make sure you have working carbon monoxide detectors in your home and never refuel your generator when it is running.

If you have mold or water damage, call SERVPRO at 610-546-2484 to schedule a cleanup.  Your SERVPRO of King of Prussia professionals have the training, certifications, and equipment to remediate mold.

Call today for a free estimate, and mention this post and get 10% off all your cleaning needs.

Other News

View Recent Posts